Elder & Disability Law
Our team of six experienced attorneys working with our paralegal staff concentrates in the special laws affecting elders and persons with disabilities. Comprehensively addressing client's personal, medical, residential and other special needs requires the best use of public benefits as well as the client's own resources, personal as well as financial. These are among our typical clients:
- A married elder needing extensive care at home or nursing home placement, fearing impoverishment of his or her spouse.
- An accident victim on disability benefits concerned about the impact of a financial settlement.
- The parents of a 17-year-old with special needs with questions about guardianship and its alternatives, MassHealth, Social Security and housing benefits, as well as adult service agencies.
- Parents wanting to provide appropriately in their estate plan for a child with special needs.
- A trustee concerned how best to use trust funds for a disabled beneficiary on benefits.
- An elder needing advice when applying for admission to an assisted living facility or Continuing Care Retirement Community.
- Parents exploring residential alternatives for a son or daughter with special needs.
- Elders concerned about planning for future incapacity or nursing home care.
- An individual denied, or considering applying for eligibility for Social Security Disability benefits.
- An elder needing assistance with a MassHealth application for community or nursing home services.